Melee move idea

Let us know what you're thinking about Re:Spite! Post any suggestions here.
Errors

Melee move idea

Post by Errors » Nov 4th, 2018, 2:05 pm

Would be interesting to see a "Charge" move for all move sets. The way I was thinking to do this will interfere with the hold F1 key to attack. I was thinking about holding down F1 to charge a Melee attack then when let go it releases a more powerful attack. Maybe a key combo? Tap F1 then Hold F1, or Hold Shift + F1 or something alike.
"I found another Glitch" -Errors

Danno
Artist

Re: Melee move idea

Post by Danno » Nov 4th, 2018, 3:04 pm

I was actually thinking of something like this last year. Just yesterday, I was reviewing my ideas for classes and adding new ideas. Coincidentally, I made a note for "charge" attacks for a certain class exactly as you described - hold F1 to charge the attack, then let go to unleash it.

Anyway, so I was thinking this ability would just be for a single warrior type class. I want each class to be fundamentally different in some way(s) to make the game feel kinda fresh with each one. That is, besides different skills, each class might also differ due to:

a) Default abilities, such as "charging", gaining temporary buffs after receiving enough damage, or being able to see things on the map that other classes can't see (e.g. traps). These sorts of abilities would not be transferable to other classes.

b) In some cases, there might be a weapon proficiency factor. This would give players a reason to use an 'archer' class rather than just equipping a bow as a warrior. Different weapons might also function in different ways.

c) Stat growth suited for each class, of course, to somewhat keep classes within their role.

d) A strength and weakness to encourage cooperative play. Elemental systems are a bit too exclusive to mages, so I was thinking it could be tied to monster type instead. For example, a 'warrior' might be weak to bird-ish monsters, but strong against reptilian monsters while an 'archer' is strong to birds and weak to reptiles.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014

Errors

Post by Errors » Nov 4th, 2018, 5:08 pm

Part D, so something like

Winged = Wind
Beast/Bugs/Golem = Earth
Fish/Reptile = Water
Plants/Bugs = Grass
Humans/Dragons = Fire

Could add in Elemental typed weapons. No element gives base damage. Add fire to your sword and gain a 2x damage against Plants and Bugs. The element on the weapon could be temperary. Could call this a "Element Charge", a number of successful hits on the target will deplete the charge. For example 100 hits = -10 charge, 100% charge will now be 90%. Now because you added a charge to this weapon you are now facing a giant freaken shark because danno decided it would be funny, you are out of luck because your fire charged weapon is now x2 as weak against this shark doing less damage changing up your strats.

Another optional way would be to add Elemental type "Ultimate" skills for all classes.

Warriors can have a Flaming Strike, swinging the sword with their burning passion for battle catches fire leaving the foe burned to their core.

Archers can have a Lightning Shot, the arrow shot from this amazing hawk eyed hunter was so fast it was as if they shot a bolt of lightning from zeus hand himself.

Theives with a Poison Sting ability, This master of stealth may seem weak but, don't let em get to close they poison the edge of their blade leaving you in a weakened state so they can steal your goods and walk away as you lay there dying.

Mages with a Elemental Blast, masters of all Elements took years apon years of learning to achive such a deadly spell. Banned in all kingdoms for its powerful ability to cast all types of elements at once.

Just an example.
"I found another Glitch" -Errors

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Nov 4th, 2018, 6:54 pm

Not bad ideas, but I still feel like elements don't quite have the same opportunity to convey what I'm hoping to achieve. If we use elements, then a class would need a strong elemental theme for strengths/weaknesses to be relevant. For instance, all of the warrior's attacks would need a fire theme, all of the archer's attacks would need a lightning theme, etc. Otherwise, the warrior could just use some of their non-elemental attacks to take on that shark monster without penalties and without being part of a team - or they might feel it doesn't make sense to be weak to water attacks if their class is only halfass fire themed.

With the planned skill borrowing system, the warrior could also just borrow a lightning element skill from the archer class to defeat the shark even easier. That is, players would likely end up carrying 1 of each element skill at all times so that they'd always be able to hit an enemy's weakness. Something like this might have been okay in Pokemon, but we'll likely allow players to have more than 4 attacks available, which might leave too much room to abuse an elemental system. Elemental weapons pose the same problem - players could just change their weapon and always be ready to hit an enemy's weakness, which kinda defeats the purpose of the whole system.

Lastly, the mage ends up being too valuable in this situation since they'd have a variety of elements at their disposal. With ranged attacks, they're less likely to be hit, especially if they could just use the enemy's elemental weakness in any given scenario and kill the enemy quicker.

Instead, if a warrior is weak to all bird monsters, for example, regardless of whether the bird uses fire, wind, or generic attacks... We end up with a situation where birds are always an obstacle for a warrior. This allows for dungeons to be designed in ways where players will be encouraged to find a party. For example, the majority of the dungeon might be full of bird monsters, much to a warrior's dismay, but then the boss might be a reptile, which is where the warrior might shine. This creates a system where a player can never completely compensate for their weaknesses.
As a multiplayer game, I think it's important for there to be a reason to play with other people and to cooperate, not just go in and steamroll all the mobs individually. I think it could have other benefits, as well, such as preventing one single player from carrying the whole team.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014