Weekly spoiler

Discuss anything about the game itself.
Sholto

Re: Weekly spoiler

Post by Sholto » Dec 16th, 2018, 12:37 pm

Oh I cannot wait. The customization options will be endless!!!!

Also, awesome cape. A+
-Sholto, "Sower of Seeds"

unit

Post by unit » Dec 20th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Danno wrote: This week's spoiler is... Shoulder equipment!

2018-12-16 shoulder equipment.png

Subject to change, as usual. Drawing it is simple enough, but planning is a more involved process. I'm still working on figuring out how to make it display properly alongside all the other equipment layers and attack animations. It's a bit tricky and too troublesome to explain, I guess.

Anyway, when it's ready, you'll be able to mix and match shoulder equipment with whatever you want. There will be some obvious matches, such as the metal shoulderpads going with armour of the same colour. Here are some examples of less obvious matches:

2018-12-16 shoulder equipment2.png
Holy yes ive been going on and on about wanting a red cape since that armour plate came out!
A road not traveled is an opportunity not taken

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 23rd, 2018, 6:23 pm

A little late again, but here's what I've been working on.

This week's spoiler is... hair length progress!
2018-12-23 hair progress.png
2018-12-23 hair progress.png (8.9 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
The hair lengths available so far have either been long hair or some sort of ponytail, so here's something a little different. The new options shown above allow characters to have shorter hair with a little length.

There will be a total of 14 new hair lengths in the next update. I'll have to leave it at that so I can get back to work on more important features, I suppose. I still have a few more of these new hair lengths to finish up, which I expect should be done tonight. After that, I intend to complete some shoulder equipment (to make it actually usable), then uh... I'm not entirely sure. I'm thinking some other new equipment would be nice, though I also feel I should make more NPCs for the towns.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014

Cevil

Post by Cevil » Dec 24th, 2018, 9:49 am

Danno wrote: A little late again, but here's what I've been working on.

This week's spoiler is... hair length progress!

2018-12-23 hair progress.png

The hair lengths available so far have either been long hair or some sort of ponytail, so here's something a little different. The new options shown above allow characters to have shorter hair with a little length.

There will be a total of 14 new hair lengths in the next update. I'll have to leave it at that so I can get back to work on more important features, I suppose. I still have a few more of these new hair lengths to finish up, which I expect should be done tonight. After that, I intend to complete some shoulder equipment (to make it actually usable), then uh... I'm not entirely sure. I'm thinking some other new equipment would be nice, though I also feel I should make more NPCs for the towns.
Looking good!
As for what to do next...some new craftable items, perhaps?

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 24th, 2018, 10:47 am

Oh yeah, I should really get on that to make the crafting system have some meaning once it's implemented. I keep thinking about craftable equipment and keep forgetting about it. I'll have to make it my next priority after completing some shoulder equipment.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 29th, 2018, 9:43 pm

This week's spoiler is... some new equipment I started working.
2018-12-29 equipment.png
2018-12-29 equipment.png (2.62 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
Not much to see here since I haven't put much time into it yet. I put some hours into finishing some shoulder equipment (the metal shoulderpads from a previous spoiler), so now that should be ready to use. We'll have to implement the "shoulder equipment" layer and test it out, of course.

Sholto

Post by Sholto » Dec 30th, 2018, 7:33 am

Is that skallug armor I see? ;D
-Sholto, "Sower of Seeds"

Ghostly Apparition

Post by Ghostly Apparition » Dec 30th, 2018, 10:04 am

Sholto wrote:Is that skallug armor I see? ;D
It does look like it, doesn't it? At first I thought that maybe the green coloring may have been because it used Tumblok cores (Since they are partially green), but then I remembered that Skallugs are a weird shade of pale green, as well as purple.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Jan 5th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Sholto wrote:Is that skallug armor I see? ;D
Seems the cat is out of the bag.

This week's spoiler is... a new NPC I've been working on!
2019-01-05 NPC.jpg
2019-01-05 NPC.jpg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 2041 times
I'm trying to make more NPCs to fill in the empty buildings. Having NPCs handy as shopkeepers and the like will also put us in a better position when we start developing a quest engine.

I actually haven't done any pixel art in 2019 yet, which I'm now finding to be surprising. I did spend a little time writing dialogue for a couple of quests to prepare for when we eventually have a quest engine. Well, I'll get back to pixel work soon enough.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Jan 12th, 2019, 12:49 pm

This week's spoiler is... stairs!
2019-01-12 stairs.png
2019-01-12 stairs.png (22.1 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
I've been putting it off for a long time since I couldn't decide on how to make them look or how the map editor functionality should work. In its most complex state, it required around a dozen wall tiles and some careful/tricky placement. I simplified it down to being just 4 objects so it wouldn't take a ton of time/effort just to assemble stairs on a map.

The other struggle was deciding how to make it match the baseboards along the bottom of the walls. Most stairs irl would likely have the baseboard continue diagonally upwards alongside the stairs. It just kinda makes the whole thing a hassle when you consider that these stairs might be used in buildings with different interior walls, so I left that part blank for now.

Anyway, the purpose of stairs: basically just to look nice. I didn't want to do it the cheap way and have some weird freestanding block of stairs as seen in many old RPGs. What I mean by that is something like this:
2019-01-12 lazy stairs sample.png
2019-01-12 lazy stairs sample.png (12.19 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
Stairs will be used in buildings with multiple floors, of course. You'll likely just walk into the first tile of them, then get warped to a different map (you won't see your character actually walk up the stairs). I still have work to do on the stairs to make them integrate into buildings as well as I want them to. The colour fade is subject to change.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Jan 19th, 2019, 5:12 pm

This week's spoiler is... some concept art!
2019-01-19 sailing crew.png
2019-01-19 sailing crew.png (199.1 KiB) Viewed 1937 times
The colouring isn't entirely done yet. Anyway, my intention is for this to be a group of NPCs running a ship that takes you off of newbland. Year(s) ago, I hadn't thought of it too much and assumed I'd only make a captain for the ship. Recently, I thought I should plan out some other crew members to make it a little more believable. Anyway, so here's a group picture. To make them have usable artwork in-game, I'll have to redraw them individually so they can have better details and/or more suitable poses.

It's been a rough week at work, resulting in my fingers being too sore to draw. That being the case, I didn't really get anything done this week. Hopefully this physically tough part of my irl job will be over soon so I can get back to making art!

Putin

Post by Putin » Jan 20th, 2019, 10:45 pm

Nice work man! The muscular chick looks hot.
Ukraine is ours, Belarus is ours;
Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia is ours.

Mess with me, and I will make the stupidest person in your country win the presidential elections.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Jan 26th, 2019, 3:01 pm

This week's spoiler is... progress on a previously spoiled outfit.
2019-01-26 new pants front view.gif
2019-01-26 new pants front view.gif (5.84 KiB) Viewed 1853 times
Here's how this outfit is coming along. Lately, I haven't been working on the game nearly as much as I should be. The nature of work at my irl job is still leaving my fingers feeling sore and swollen, so I haven't felt much like using these fingers for drawing. I'm optimistic that my irl work should be less physically straining in the near future, which will probably result in me making better progress.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Feb 2nd, 2019, 1:31 pm

This week's spoiler is... repetitive!
2019-02-02 skallug set.png
2019-02-02 skallug set.png (6.74 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
2019-02-02 - male skallug set attack.gif
2019-02-02 - male skallug set attack.gif (13.83 KiB) Viewed 1777 times
Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to work on anything I haven't already spoiled. Anyway, here's how progress is on this outfit. I think I'll be able to finish the male version today. After that, I'll just have to make the female top, then I'll be free to work on something completely new again. Development has been pretty bad this past month, but I'm hoping to pick up the pace a bit.

I wonder if this outfit is a little too cool to be newb gear? Well, I was hoping from the start that players would be willing to wear cheaper equipment if they like the way it looks, so let's hope this outfit doesn't fall out of fashion completely when more expensive/rare equipment exists!

In case it wasn't already clear enough, my intention is for this outfit to be craftable from skallug drops. To all the Re:Spite veterans out there, please don't bother farming the hell out of skallug shells to prepare for the crafting system. Chances are you probably have enough materials sitting in your inventory already!

To put things into perspective, we have records that show how many items exist in the current game world. Right now, over 7000 skallug shells are owned by all the players (and most of those are held by players on the top 25 grinder list). If we average that out, it means 25 players have 280 skallug shells each. The game is still in the "newb land" stage, though, so I wouldn't expect any new player to have to spend 20+ hours grinding/farming to be able to obtain craftable equipment. So, in reality, it would likely cost 100 skallug shells or less to craft the entire set.

unit

Post by unit » Feb 2nd, 2019, 11:43 pm

Danno wrote: This week's spoiler is... repetitive!

2019-02-02 skallug set.png
2019-02-02 - male skallug set attack.gif

Unfortunately, I haven't had a chance to work on anything I haven't already spoiled. Anyway, here's how progress is on this outfit. I think I'll be able to finish the male version today. After that, I'll just have to make the female top, then I'll be free to work on something completely new again. Development has been pretty bad this past month, but I'm hoping to pick up the pace a bit.

I wonder if this outfit is a little too cool to be newb gear? Well, I was hoping from the start that players would be willing to wear cheaper equipment if they like the way it looks, so let's hope this outfit doesn't fall out of fashion completely when more expensive/rare equipment exists!

In case it wasn't already clear enough, my intention is for this outfit to be craftable from skallug drops. To all the Re:Spite veterans out there, please don't bother farming the hell out of skallug shells to prepare for the crafting system. Chances are you probably have enough materials sitting in your inventory already!

To put things into perspective, we have records that show how many items exist in the current game world. Right now, over 7000 skallug shells are owned by all the players (and most of those are held by players on the top 25 grinder list). If we average that out, it means 25 players have 280 skallug shells each. The game is still in the "newb land" stage, though, so I wouldn't expect any new player to have to spend 20+ hours grinding/farming to be able to obtain craftable equipment. So, in reality, it would likely cost 100 skallug shells or less to craft the entire set.
bugger that make it something fucken ridiculous, 1000 skullag jewels, 10,000 shells. give it OP stats make it the best item in the game then dc it after 1yr. rare items for days... for real though, can we just raise the max lvl to 25 already? cheers.
A road not traveled is an opportunity not taken

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Feb 3rd, 2019, 9:55 am

unit wrote:bugger that
ogodlol
Nah, we'd drive away all the potential new players if we shifted our focus towards high level players. We need to build up a solid foundation for newbs so they can explore and obtain stuff without a ton of grinding. The game needs way more within the grasp of a lv5 player, then we might see people join and stick around a while.
No lv25 yet, the game is already too broken as it is with players way outpacing the existing content. )-: It's gonna be a long, bumpy ride to make enough monsters, dungeons, quests, etc. to satisfy a lv15 player.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Feb 9th, 2019, 11:55 am

This week's spoiler is... back to stairs.
2019-02-09 stairs.png
2019-02-09 stairs.png (52.97 KiB) Viewed 1690 times
Compared to before, I figured I should probably have rails on both sides of the stairs since I suppose that's more similar to stairs in real life. I made the stairs reach all the way to the black void space to make it clear that they reach all the way to the ceiling - at which point, it becomes the upper area's floor. The rails at the top and black platform sort of represent "what you'd be able to see if you were standing at the bottom of the stairs". Maybe it's not perfect, but I think it looks decent enough. Better than freestanding stair blocks, anyway.

Harlan
Programmer

Post by Harlan » Feb 9th, 2019, 5:23 pm

That staircase looks so fancy. Like it'd belong in some bourgeoisie household.

The Ilm Inn is gunna look high class.

Errors

Post by Errors » Feb 15th, 2019, 2:26 am

I would personaly say that the ones that are near the top 10 on the grinder list are the ones that probably have the most collected items. I know for myself, i have atleast less than 10 or even 5 shells lol. Why not make the NPC who is crafting the gear for you sell some items that require gold that is used in certin craft. Forcing some players that may already have the items to either sell them to other players for gold or to the NPC for gold.

1. Reducing horded items
2. Jump starting an eco for players
Or 3. If it goes bad, stays the same lmao

Just a thought.

There also still needs to be a way for the sell prices in the shop to trickle their way back up from 1g to 10g and so on.
"I found another Glitch" -Errors

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Feb 16th, 2019, 2:00 pm

Errors wrote: I would personaly say that the ones that are near the top 10 on the grinder list are the ones that probably have the most collected items.
Why not make the NPC who is crafting the gear for you sell some items that require gold that is used in certin craft. Forcing some players that may already have the items to either sell them to other players for gold or to the NPC for gold.
Yeah, we've most likely got ourselves a "top 1%" kinda situation.

I was thinking crafting could require some gold, but it still needs to be accessible to "the other 99%". That being the case, the hoarders wouldn't have to pawn much off to be able to afford the crafting fee. In the end, I believe the impact would be:

a) Hoarders are slightly inconvenienced by expending more resources for crafting.
b) The working poor have to expend just as many resources as the hoarders, so it just makes life harder for them.

I do want to let items regain value to help the low level players, but it just takes 1 high level hoarder to keep all item values at 1g. It's also significantly easier for the high level player to keep that up. For example, a high level player can farm monsters for hours without taking any damage (or healing faster than they get hurt). Meanwhile, a low level player will die or have to go heal after killing less than 10 monsters. Not to mention high level players one-shot the monsters, so they can hoard at a way faster rate.

Anyway, I believe the best solution is to not rush things. It'd be bad for the game if we gave high level players a way to become millionaires. Old players would end up selling uncommon/rare items for 300k or w/e while new players struggle to even earn 1k. The economy would be far less accessible than it currently is (even though it's really bad already).

Basically, what we need is to give high level players a reason to not farm skallugs and chickens. It needs to not be worth their time to do so, which could be accomplished by giving them a more meaningful/enjoyable way to spend their time or by giving them new goals. It'll take time to make content appropriate for lv5+ players, but we should be able to roll it out faster once we add a few more core features (such as equippable weapons, better monster AI, classes/skills).