Weekly Spoiler II

Discuss anything about the game itself.
Danno
Artist

Weekly Spoiler II

Post by Danno » Sep 7th, 2019, 2:11 pm

It's been a long time, but I'll try and get these weekly spoilers going again.

This week's spoiler is... some new tiles I'm working on.
2019-09-07 misc prairie garbage.png
2019-09-07 misc prairie garbage.png (483.67 KiB) Viewed 109 times
Here's an alternate version without the new tiles:
2019-09-07 misc prairie sans garbage.png
2019-09-07 misc prairie sans garbage.png (340.45 KiB) Viewed 109 times
I suppose this is a step towards making all these prairie maps look a little less plain. I mean, there will still be maps that look more similar to the 2nd version. I'm hoping to make some maps look a little more detailed and convincing, though.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014

Cevil

Re: Weekly Spoiler II

Post by Cevil » Sep 8th, 2019, 7:57 am

Thanks for the update Danno. Look forward to playing again!

Javon

Post by Javon » Sep 11th, 2019, 7:20 pm

Hello - I'm new here. This project looks very promising and exciting. Keep up the amazing work!

goon

Post by goon » Sep 12th, 2019, 3:38 pm

Looks really good Danno, the new tiles make the map feel much more natural/realistic! Cant wait until the next spoiler!

unit

Post by unit » Sep 14th, 2019, 1:51 am

good to see some new stuff! cant waitttttt.
A road not traveled is an opportunity not taken

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Sep 14th, 2019, 1:48 pm

This week's spoiler is... fodder NPCs!
2019-09-14 fodder NPCs.jpg
2019-09-14 fodder NPCs.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 12 times
The other NPCs that have been revealed to this point were intended to have some useful purpose, such as shopkeepers, class trainers, and important characters in stories/quests. Today, I bring to you the first fodder NPC. In RPGs, there's always anonymous townsfolk wandering around town that give you little bits of advice or pointless chatter for the sake of immersion. Anyway, I was thinking we'd go ahead and have those sorts of NPCs, too - they can kinda point you towards your next destination or give you tips on playing the game.

Most RPGs I've played (or maybe all of them) won't bother to have unique artwork for each fodder NPC, or they might just have a generic fodder NPC for "young man", "old woman", or "soldier". I think having unique artwork and a name for each one makes it more interesting to look at, though, so that's what I'll aim for. Anyway, these'll generally be lower effort compared to the important NPCs. To date, this is the fastest NPC I've drawn/coloured at 2.5 hours. Perhaps drawing fodder NPCs here and there will also improve my speed. They're a low priority, of course, but a nice change of pace for me if I've been pixeling too long.

Here's a rough map of Ilm Harbor I made to help me plan out where I should put fodder NPCs at.
2019-09-07 Ilm Harbor town map.png
2019-09-07 Ilm Harbor town map.png (20.25 KiB) Viewed 12 times
I'm kinda hoping to make towns look at least slightly sustainable. For example, having regular houses for NPCs/fodder NPCs to live in, some food source, and generally being more than just a mini-mall in the middle of nowhere.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014