Weekly Spoiler II

Discuss anything about the game itself.
Danno
Artist

Weekly Spoiler II

Post by Danno »

It's been a long time, but I'll try and get these weekly spoilers going again.

This week's spoiler is... some new tiles I'm working on.
2019-09-07 misc prairie garbage.png
2019-09-07 misc prairie garbage.png (483.67 KiB) Viewed 29429 times
Here's an alternate version without the new tiles:
2019-09-07 misc prairie sans garbage.png
2019-09-07 misc prairie sans garbage.png (340.45 KiB) Viewed 29429 times
I suppose this is a step towards making all these prairie maps look a little less plain. I mean, there will still be maps that look more similar to the 2nd version. I'm hoping to make some maps look a little more detailed and convincing, though.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014
Cevil

Re: Weekly Spoiler II

Post by Cevil »

Thanks for the update Danno. Look forward to playing again!
Javon

Post by Javon »

Hello - I'm new here. This project looks very promising and exciting. Keep up the amazing work!
goon

Post by goon »

Looks really good Danno, the new tiles make the map feel much more natural/realistic! Cant wait until the next spoiler!
unit

Post by unit »

good to see some new stuff! cant waitttttt.
A road not traveled is an opportunity not taken
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... fodder NPCs!
2019-09-14 fodder NPCs.jpg
2019-09-14 fodder NPCs.jpg (56.82 KiB) Viewed 29429 times
The other NPCs that have been revealed to this point were intended to have some useful purpose, such as shopkeepers, class trainers, and important characters in stories/quests. Today, I bring to you the first fodder NPC. In RPGs, there's always anonymous townsfolk wandering around town that give you little bits of advice or pointless chatter for the sake of immersion. Anyway, I was thinking we'd go ahead and have those sorts of NPCs, too - they can kinda point you towards your next destination or give you tips on playing the game.

Most RPGs I've played (or maybe all of them) won't bother to have unique artwork for each fodder NPC, or they might just have a generic fodder NPC for "young man", "old woman", or "soldier". I think having unique artwork and a name for each one makes it more interesting to look at, though, so that's what I'll aim for. Anyway, these'll generally be lower effort compared to the important NPCs. To date, this is the fastest NPC I've drawn/coloured at 2.5 hours. Perhaps drawing fodder NPCs here and there will also improve my speed. They're a low priority, of course, but a nice change of pace for me if I've been pixeling too long.

Here's a rough map of Ilm Harbor I made to help me plan out where I should put fodder NPCs at.
2019-09-07 Ilm Harbor town map.png
2019-09-07 Ilm Harbor town map.png (20.25 KiB) Viewed 29429 times
I'm kinda hoping to make towns look at least slightly sustainable. For example, having regular houses for NPCs/fodder NPCs to live in, some food source, and generally being more than just a mini-mall in the middle of nowhere.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... the return of the level up animation!
2019-09-21 Level up animation.gif
2019-09-21 Level up animation.gif (77.73 KiB) Viewed 29428 times
I finally sat down and made a final version.
unit

Post by unit »

Nice nice, i see you labeled that spare house the mayor house.. wonder what the mayor will be useful for? Lvl up animation is brilliant, fodder npcs and houses meh nothing wrong with mini marts in the middle of no where 😂 let us see a wepon god damn the suspense or a cape!
goon

Post by goon »

Glad I voted for that animation style in the poll, it turned out really good. New NPC art looks nice as well.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

Everyone's votes were much appreciated (--:
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... the present state of the trade interface!
2019-09-28 trade.png
2019-09-28 trade.png (9.31 KiB) Viewed 29427 times
I might try to make it look nicer at some point in the future, but here's what I got for now. Probably fairly self-explanatory, you'd interact with the trade interface similarly to how you'd interact with chests. The intention is to have 2 step confirmation where each side clicks "Confirm" to lock their offer, then each side confirms again to conclude the trade. To prevent scamming, gold can only be added, not removed/decreased (for instance, the classic EO scam where someone offers 100k, then swaps it out for 10k at the last second). If someone wants to change the gold amount, they can always just cancel and re-trade.

Speech bubbles within the trade would allow easier communication. Space at the bottom of the trade is provided for tips or warnings to help keep players alert.
Cevil

Post by Cevil »

Keep up the hard work Danno!
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... a new monster!
2019-10-04 spotworm walk.gif
2019-10-04 spotworm walk.gif (2.99 KiB) Viewed 29426 times

It's basically intended to be a fodder monster for Lv0 and Lv1 players so they can kill something other than chickens.
unit

Post by unit »

Is it a catipillar or an eel of some sort? Strange looking thing.. but keep em coming! Could make a boss version of this as a butterfly? 🤷‍♂️
Sholto

Post by Sholto »

I'd be very interested in seeing intermediate stages to the bug creatures in addition to their adult form. So, like a pupa that hangs from a tree or something. That would really be a fodder monster for low level players, but would be neat for realism (might just be the entomologist in me though).
-Sholto, "Sower of Seeds"
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

unit wrote:Is it a catipillar or an eel of some sort?
It'll be on dry land, but I do admit I also thought it looked eel-ish floating in a blue void.
lol @ butterfly boss, doesn't seem too intimidating )-:
Sholto wrote: Oct 7th, 2019, 1:50 pm I'd be very interested in seeing intermediate stages to the bug creatures in addition to their adult form. So, like a pupa that hangs from a tree or something. That would really be a fodder monster for low level players, but would be neat for realism (might just be the entomologist in me though).
I'd feel bad for that tree-hanging pupa! But yeah, I was loosely thinking it'd be neat to have intermediate/adult forms of various creatures (AKA similar to Pokemon evolution), such as the Birbek and Alpha Birbek. I'm not sure how many monsters I'll do that sorta thing with, but yeah, I also like the little touch of 'realism', plus I think it'd be kinda cool invading a monster's nest with a big boss monster and tons of first-stage monsters roaming about the same room. I think it'd make the monster's domain look more convincing, in any case.
unit

Post by unit »

Danno wrote:
unit wrote:Is it a catipillar or an eel of some sort?
It'll be on dry land, but I do admit I also thought it looked eel-ish floating in a blue void.
lol @ butterfly boss, doesn't seem too intimidating )-:

human/butterfly/death lich hybrid!
Sholto wrote: Oct 7th, 2019, 1:50 pm I'd be very interested in seeing intermediate stages to the bug creatures in addition to their adult form. So, like a pupa that hangs from a tree or something. That would really be a fodder monster for low level players, but would be neat for realism (might just be the entomologist in me though).
I'd feel bad for that tree-hanging pupa! But yeah, I was loosely thinking it'd be neat to have intermediate/adult forms of various creatures (AKA similar to Pokemon evolution), such as the Birbek and Alpha Birbek. I'm not sure how many monsters I'll do that sorta thing with, but yeah, I also like the little touch of 'realism', plus I think it'd be kinda cool invading a monster's nest with a big boss monster and tons of first-stage monsters roaming about the same room. I think it'd make the monster's domain look more convincing, in any case.
this idea i like
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

@Unit: I suppose that could be a little intimidating.

This week's spoiler is... some new shelf stuff!
2019-10-12 new shelf stuff.png
2019-10-12 new shelf stuff.png (65.84 KiB) Viewed 29425 times
The bookcase graphics already existed, I just put some new stuff on the shelves to make it more useful. One contains a bunch of mystery items intended as a decoration for weird shops or whatever. The other is simply full of books, making it a bit more usable.
Cevil

Post by Cevil »

Looking good Danno. I really like the bird statues. And the potion bottles on the shelves stand out to me as well.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

Cevil wrote: Oct 15th, 2019, 9:59 am Looking good Danno. I really like the bird statues. And the potion bottles on the shelves stand out to me as well.
The bird statues are fairly old graphics that weren't meant for indoor use like this, but I feel like they spruced the place up nicely!

This week's spoiler is... more fodder NPCs!
2019-10-19 fodder NPCs II.jpg
2019-10-19 fodder NPCs II.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 29424 times
Once again, the fodder NPCs are mostly intended just to give towns less of a "ghost town" vibe, to help create some atmosphere or whatever, and to give helpful advice through human characters instead of through boring signposts and text heavy tutorials. They could perhaps be involved in quests in the future, too.