Weekly Spoiler II

Discuss anything about the game itself.
Danno
Artist

Re: Weekly Spoiler II

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... a new monster!
2020-01-04 new monster movement.gif
2020-01-04 new monster movement.gif (3.19 KiB) Viewed 28286 times
It's mostly just meant as a decoration for the game world - I intend for these happy little fellows to be located in ponds and lakes (AKA inaccessible areas).
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

Whoops, nearly forgot to post a spoiler this week. This week's spoiler is... new boots!
2020-01-12 new boots.gif
2020-01-12 new boots.gif (10.08 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
I'm not quite done the full sheet yet, but I'm getting close! Anyway, it's intended to complete the basic armour set that has the same colour scheme. With that, we just might have a decent enough number of basic outfits for me to start focusing on other stuff.

For no reason at all, here's a pointless look at the basic outfit sets available and what they might represent:
2020-01-12 knight1.png
2020-01-12 knight1.png (5.54 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
2020-01-12 knight2.png
2020-01-12 knight2.png (5.01 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
2020-01-12 mage.png
2020-01-12 mage.png (6.32 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
2020-01-12 merchant.png
2020-01-12 merchant.png (4.32 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
2020-01-12 archer1.png
2020-01-12 archer1.png (5.56 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
2020-01-12 archer2.png
2020-01-12 archer2.png (5.18 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
2020-01-12 bad dude.png
2020-01-12 bad dude.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
2020-01-12 beach bum.png
2020-01-12 beach bum.png (4.18 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
2020-01-12 costume.png
2020-01-12 costume.png (6.33 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... some concept art!
2020-01-18 stone temple exterior.jpg
2020-01-18 stone temple exterior.jpg (365.8 KiB) Viewed 28285 times
Please excuse how sloppy this artwork is, its only purpose is to serve as reference material for my pixels. Anyway, I've been thinking more about actual game content lately, so I'm starting to make plans and assets for dungeons. With some new assets and a few small feature additions, I'm optimistic we can come up with something reasonably interesting and challenging even with the game's current limitations.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... a new challenge area!
2020-01-25 new challenge area.png
2020-01-25 new challenge area.png (228.16 KiB) Viewed 28284 times
It's not done yet, but it'll basically just be another tough area to keep high level players busy. It won't be anything too fancy for now, it'll pretty much function just like 'the gauntlet'. The 3 paths represent 3 difficulty levels, so uh... I guess we'll see if players will be able to clear all 3 when these maps are ready!
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... new paintings/decorations in-game!
2020-02-01 paintings.png
2020-02-01 paintings.png (42.41 KiB) Viewed 28283 times
I was thinking we could use more framed pictures/paintings in the game besides the 'world map' painting littered about the buildings of the island. Just wanted to spruce up the ol' world a little bit.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... a sad attempt at new tiles!
2020-02-08 tiles1.png
2020-02-08 tiles1.png (45.12 KiB) Viewed 28282 times
The tiles still need to be refined more, of course. I'm just trying to find a pattern that looks right first. I think I'm getting a little closer to that goal, but it's a bit of a struggle. I'm avoiding looking at other game tiles for reference since I don't want to end up copying them.

Here's a look at some failed attempts that didn't quite turn out the way I wanted!
2020-02-08 tiles2.png
2020-02-08 tiles2.png (46.46 KiB) Viewed 28282 times
Well, I'll keep trying until I get it looking better.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... more tiling!

I was feeling a bit too aimless before, so I made this concept art. Now I seem to be getting somewhere!
2020-02-08 stone temple inside.jpg
2020-02-08 stone temple inside.jpg (539.45 KiB) Viewed 28282 times
With some new wall tiles and a door in progress, I'll probably be able to adjust the floor tiles better to make them fit the room (I haven't done that yet). Before I do that, I'll likely work on the pillars and ceiling edge so the room doesn't look so naked.
2020-02-15 new tiles in progress.png
2020-02-15 new tiles in progress.png (68.54 KiB) Viewed 28282 times
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

No weekly spoiler this time, sadly; I'm contemplating what to do about the game. If I'm able to find a new programmer to partner up with, they'll have to recode the game from scratch, so they'll need to be capable of it, obviously. I'm still motivated to work on the game, though I wouldn't mind a little time off to play through some of the games I've collected throughout the years.

Anyway, I was considering organizing all the game design plans into one document. Our existing plans have largely been scattered throughout topics in an admin forum, vaguely referenced, or even undocumented. If everything's in one place, it might be easier for a programmer to code the game in such a way that new features could be considered and added in easier.

What I'd like to do is see how many programmers are interested in this project, then pick the most trustworthy and experienced one, of course. I'm not sure how that could be determined, though. Part of me would also like to see them prove they can create a basic online multiplayer game client before I start working too seriously, though I'm not sure if that's a bad attitude on my part.
Cevil

Post by Cevil »

I'm just going to speak my mind here. You can't afford to take another break Danno. Last year was a waste after the hiatus. You can't afford to have another wasted year. That is a death sentence. Either you need to find help, and quickly, or say goodbye to whatever community is left. Not trying to sound like a naysayer here, obviously you're in a crappy situation. But yeah, just my 2 cents.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

I was also thinking it'd suck to have a double hiatus, as you've pointed out, but to be fair, Abi turned out to be unexpectedly busy all year. There was a period of time last year where I had to put all my free time into working on my house so I could live in it before having to move from my apartment, followed by a period of time where I didn't have a proper place to setup my computer to work on the game. This was 4 months in total, then I resumed work on the game in July 2019. From July 2019 to January 2020, I averaged 17 hours of artwork on the game per month (not including the time I spent making maps or gameplay plans). My target is 30+ hours per month, but I was lacking a bit of motivation since Abi wasn't available to implement the things I was working on (trade interface, party interface, special effects, dungeon mechanics, wanting to start working on classes/skills/weapons, etc.).

Not much was added to the game after the hiatus, but I did some work and it's just been sitting here for now. If I find another programmer, I'll have to spend a lot of time explaining how game mechanics are intended to work, how interface stuff should be displayed, and going through a closed test phase until the client is stable and secure enough for the public. Assuming the programmer is motivated and has lots of free time, I could be pretty tied up with them until the game gets 'caught up'. I dunno, so I'm wondering if it'd be better if I could first prepare a detailed game design document for them to follow if I'm not available, or if I should take this chance to have a real break for myself. It's not like the community has to do anything besides passively be a member of our Discord group, same as they have been.
Cevil

Post by Cevil »

I get it, the complexities of life. I just don't like this whole "take a break" thing. It's almost similar to when a couple decides to split and take a break, even though they both know their relationship is doomed.

At this point, either the game slowly dies or we don't see any more updates for quite a while. And obviously I don't like either option. Regardless, I'll be around, just wanted to speak my mind a little.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

I'm a bit conflicted and still not quite sure what the best approach would be, so your feedback is appreciated. After that period of time last year where I couldn't work on the game, it felt really good to eventually be able to work on it again. I'd get pretty excited proposing and discussing new features in dev talks with Abi, even as recent as last month. I really do want to see this game gain fun features and worthwhile content. Here's one little idea I was working on, for example:

(Though I didn't spoil it earlier because I didn't want to get anyone's hopes up in case it was too complicated to code.)
2020-01-11 rowboat sample.png
2020-01-11 rowboat sample.png (8.67 KiB) Viewed 28281 times
I guess at the very least, I should write a document that:
  • Summarizes the key features I'd like in Re:Spite.
  • Minimum expectations as a main developer.
  • Lists my personal conditions (such as the game remaining free-to-play and having minimal grind when the game is in its ideal state).
  • Proposes a sort of contract (involving matters of finances, user privacy, assets/code in the event of someone leaving the team, etc.).
Then I guess we could see if there are any takers (and if I approve of whatever conditions they have).
Cevil

Post by Cevil »

Well I would venture that the first step would be to figure out if you truly want to pursue this project. So some soul searching is required. If a break is what you need, then do it.

Compiling all of your ideas and plans into one document seems very sensible to me. I wish I had some better advice. I just play games, I don't know anything about developing or programming. But I've played enough games to know you're in a terrible situation. And I hope it all works out.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

I definitely do want to continue the project, no soul searching needed. I guess the main reason I'd want a break is just because I'm a bit bummed out and would like to have fun rather than immediately deal with the dull process of scouting a competent programmer, building trust with a complete stranger, risking all the effort being for nothing if they change their mind, risking my personal info/bank info by downloading/testing a game client from someone with no credibility or by having shared accounts (for stuff like hosting), etc.

Well, I guess I'll at least try to spend a little time on the scouting process for now and see how that goes (writing up some documents for now).
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

Well, it took a while, but I finally finishing writing a Re:Spite project proposal. It barely scratches the surface of what Re:Spite may one day become, but it should give a programmer a decent enough idea to know what they're getting themselves into if they decide to work with me.

-removed-

I've kinda been itchin' to do some art lately, but wanted to prioritize this so there'd be a better chance of finding a programmer and having some more realistic hope of the project continuing.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is a bit more on track. New in-game paintings!
2020-03-21_fan-art-summary.png
2020-03-21_fan-art-summary.png (201.67 KiB) Viewed 28279 times
They're based on the fan art submissions from last month. Here's a zoomed in version just because.
2020-03-21_fan-art-paintings zoomed in.png
2020-03-21_fan-art-paintings zoomed in.png (5.37 KiB) Viewed 28279 times
Anyway, for the most part, I'm still working on organizing Re:Spite's game design plans so that it'd be possible for a programmer to work on the game. Some of the plans are kinda complex and deeply intertwined with other aspects of the game, so like... having all the information organized will ensure a programmer can create features while leaving them open to be compatible with future updates. tl;dr, should hopefully prevent another "oops, the entire game needs to be recoded" situation.

I'm hoping to make some time to do at least a little art in between, though.
Cevil

Post by Cevil »

Danno wrote: This week's spoiler is a bit more on track. New in-game paintings!

2020-03-21_fan-art-summary.png

They're based on the fan art submissions from last month. Here's a zoomed in version just because.

2020-03-21_fan-art-paintings zoomed in.png

Anyway, for the most part, I'm still working on organizing Re:Spite's game design plans so that it'd be possible for a programmer to work on the game. Some of the plans are kinda complex and deeply intertwined with other aspects of the game, so like... having all the information organized will ensure a programmer can create features while leaving them open to be compatible with future updates. tl;dr, should hopefully prevent another "oops, the entire game needs to be recoded" situation.

I'm hoping to make some time to do at least a little art in between, though.
Awesome, good stuff there Danno!
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

This week's spoiler is... some small progress on dungeon stuff.
2020-03-28 dungeon doors progress.png
2020-03-28 dungeon doors progress.png (22.05 KiB) Viewed 28278 times
I added some shading, softened the outline, made minor additions/adjustments. I wasn't sure what direction to go in with making the door look less plain, so I wasted some time giving it a sort of studded surface (as seen on the right of the updated one), then I changed my mind and decided it looks better sleek with some subtle garbage pixels scattered around to make it look like I tried.
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

I missed a week and this one's way late, but here's a little spoiler, for what it's worth. I've mostly been working on planning again, but I'll see if I can try and get some graphics going. At the very least, I'll make it my goal to get these dungeon graphics completed within the near-ish future.
2020-04-13 dungeon pillar progress.png
2020-04-13 dungeon pillar progress.png (60.75 KiB) Viewed 28277 times
Anyway, for now, all I have to show off is this pillar I've been working on. Not too exciting, I'm sorry )-:::
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

I don't have spectacular-looking progress to show, but this week's spoiler is... updating old graphics!

I'm currently working on the character creation spotlight. This is how it currently looks.
2020-04-18 old spotlight.png
2020-04-18 old spotlight.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 28276 times
I always intended to animate it someday, now I'm finally doing it. To animate it, I had to strip it down to the basics, so it might not look as nice as the old one yet. The top part of the spotlight is pretty much fully animated, which kinda gives a glimpse of the difference animation should make for the rest of it.
2020-04-18 new spotlight.gif
2020-04-18 new spotlight.gif (15.08 KiB) Viewed 28276 times