Remapping

Let us know what you're thinking about Re:Spite! Post any suggestions here.
Douzie

Remapping

Post by Douzie » Feb 11th, 2019, 3:21 pm

It would be awesome if we could remap our keys such as melee, using maybe the ctrl key etc.

Harlan
Programmer

Re: Remapping

Post by Harlan » Feb 12th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Apart from having to spend the time coding it in, I don't really remember why I was so against this.

Danno, what's your opinion on this? I know we've had this discussion a few times on the public discord.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Feb 12th, 2019, 8:07 pm

The main thing is that the skill hotkeys would eventually be on the F keys (such as F2, F3, F4). Having your finger on Ctrl and then moving your hand up to the F keys is a pretty awkward control scheme.

On the other hand, maybe it's not our place to judge? I guess people could attack with Ctrl if they choose to. In the future, they might not be as quick in combat as someone who sticks with F1 as their attack key, though.

Depending on the complexity of our skill system (e.g. number of skills available, activation methods), I was considering something where F2/F3/F4 could possibly be used to navigate through your skills, then F1 (the attack key) would double as a "confirm" key. In a situation like this, it would make a lot more sense for players to use F1 for attacking.

Basically, I think it would be ideal to be able to access a large number of skills using a minimal number of keys (as long as it's not too cumbersome). I think a good control scheme shouldn't have the player's fingers flying all over the keyboard during the course of normal gameplay and potentially being at risk of missing the key they're aiming for (if playing in the dark or if trying to jump between keys such as F6, F10, and F2 in a specific order). The controls should not hinder the player from doing what they're trying to do and they shouldn't have to glance at the keyboard to make sure they're pressing the right key.

Anyway, no harm in letting players make the decision for themselves, I suppose.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014

Errors

Post by Errors » Feb 22nd, 2019, 7:00 pm

Right hand on CTRL and Left hand on F1-12.

Also, if hotkeys are clickable then theres that too. Right hand on. Ctrl and left hand to click hotkeys or vice versa.
"I found another Glitch" -Errors