Delay in starting to walk, windows 10 problem

If you find any bugs/glitches in the game, please post them here.
Max

Delay in starting to walk, windows 10 problem

Post by Max »

Not sure if this applies to other operating systems or other versions of windows.

From standing still, to start walking left, the client has to register two left arrow presses on the user's keyboard to begin the walking process. Once walking starts, other directional keys can be pressed and the user's character will seamlessly walk whichever way. The thing is that with default windows 10 keyboard options, when holding down the left key, there's a delay between the first registered left, and the 2nd. It's not long, less than a second, but it's kind of a pain.

At first I thought it was the game itself. But if you double tap the left key, you move left immediately. An easy fix for the user is to change the keyboard properties' repeat delay option to shortest, but it would be nice for new players to not have to deal with changing any of their computer settings to play the game as it is intended.

I like the fact that I can change the direction my character is facing, while staying on the same tile, by pressing a button, so I want to make it clear I'm not recommending changing that.

No clue if it's possible to do, but it would be nice if the game automatically made the keyboard properties for the directional pad have 0 delay time.
Danno
Artist

Re: Delay in starting to walk, windows 10 problem

Post by Danno »

Max wrote: Jun 12th, 2021, 8:26 pmI like the fact that I can change the direction my character is facing, while staying on the same tile, by pressing a button, so I want to make it clear I'm not recommending changing that.
I think that's what you're describing. The delay could be shortened to make changing your facing require a lighter tap, though I wouldn't want it so light that a person would accidentally move when they only meant to rotate.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014