Armor Designs

Share your creations for all to see! Re:Spite-related fan creations strongly encouraged.
Scias

Armor Designs

Post by Scias »

Since I am a pixel artist I was really curious how the Re:Spite character sprite works in technical way, like what it's like to pixel an armor on it, if there are any difficulties in creating certain ideas, etc.

I like what I came up with so I thought I'd share on here.

Same designs with tiles in background
[spoiler=]Image[/spoiler]

I personally don't like the 2nd one, was considering not posting it, but w/e. For some reason the legs on first one looked short to me, and in comparison to 4th one they look even shorter! I guess that needs some fixing. My favorite one is probably 3rd.

I really like how the sprite works, the isometrics are way better compared to EO sprite, and the sprite size allows for much more detail and many different designs.
Phantom

Re: Armor Designs

Post by Phantom »

Nice work Scias, they look great. I dig the one with the skull shoulders. Keep up the good work.
Harlan

Post by Harlan »

All of them look amazing. #3 looks like black armor with a gold trim from runescape, it's going to be cool to see what types of armor we can make. I also like how badass #1 looks.

Awesome work buddy. It'll be interesting to see more work from you.

Edit:
I always liked the runescape armor designs. Yours is obviously way more detailed, but here:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/200 ... 0119201224
Danno
Artist

Post by Danno »

Nice work on those designs. I couldn't bring myself to make the sprite perfectly isometric, but at least it's a lot closer compared to EO (which had very little angle on it).
The first one has some cool features/details, though I also think I like #3 the best. Nice colour choices for everything.
Abi wrote:Edit:
I always liked the runescape armor designs. Yours is obviously way more detailed, but here:
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/200 ... 0119201224
lolirl, that looks bad.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014
Scias

Post by Scias »

@Phantom Thanks man!

@Abi Thanks! That runescape "version" is really simple, you'd expect pixel version to be the simple one but in this case it is HD compared to the 3D from runescape haha.

@Danno Thanks, it's one thing I actually learned from EO that the sprite doesn't have to be completely isometric to fit in the game. I really like the proportions of the sprite, the length and distance between legs especially, there's a lot of space for various pants designs.
Scias

Post by Scias »

Haha yeah it is really early! I was thinking of trying to make some female outfits next.

Hmm the amount of details and colors definitely would increase the time it takes to finish the full sheet, but I feel like it's time worth sacrificing for this kind of gear. I would have to finish a sheet to know for certain but I think it's not that much difficult to animate this compared to animating some basic color restricted pieces. You could probably get away with a lot of rotation-tool "cheating" with this many colors (with little touching up to do) compared to using a very limited palette, where it could be kinda time consuming to figure out how to pixel some things in different positions/angles. Only nuisance is having to pick the colors over and over again and the amount of single pixels to place on each frame, but hey by dithering you also gotta place tons of single pixels!
kaly

Post by kaly »

Whats going on with the second armor? it seems that there is a piece missing from it( upper left area of the breastplate) and i don't understand the design of it. could you explain, or provide a reference image?
Last edited by kaly on Dec 26th, 2017, 4:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
Scias

Post by Scias »

It's a really basic design, I didn't use any references for these but if you look up "armor" in google images you'll see the first armor has a lot in common with majority of the real armors. (for example) It being so basic is probably the reason why I dislike it, I feel like armors need to have more uniqueness in the design.

But anyway, hope this helps you understand it.
Mild Mannered Nate

Post by Mild Mannered Nate »

that is one detailed armor breakdown.
kaly

Post by kaly »

oops, i forgot a few words.i meant to explicitly point out the gap where the chainmail is at on the breastplate. definitely doesn't appear common and i wanted to understand the rational of having an area like that on the armor. looks like a weak spot. although it didn't answer my question, the infograph is cool. my apologies on making u work on that.

similar?: http://www.antiquesatoz.com/sgfleece/images/CVsuit1.jpg
zzzzzzzzzzzzz sleepy
Scias

Post by Scias »

Ahh yeah I wasn't sure which piece you didn't understand so I explained the entire armor haha.

Yeah that armor has some similarities. The chainmail area is kinda like here, with chainmail covering the neck, and a sharper v cut on the breastplate.