Weekly spoiler

Discuss anything about the game itself.
Danno
Artist

Weekly spoiler

Post by Danno » Nov 4th, 2017, 10:45 pm

Hello world, I'm consistently working on graphics to bring Re:Spite closer to a public release, one pixel at a time. We could pretty much already release the game as it is, but there'd be nothing to see or do. I want to make scenic environments that are fun to explore and hang out in, but it takes time.

I suppose every Saturday, I'll post a little something I'm working on so you can see what's cookin'.

This week's spoiler is... Beds!
2017-11-04 beds.png
2017-11-04 beds.png (9.2 KiB) Viewed 8784 times
Players will be able to lie down in beds, which will typically be founds in homes and inns. When a player is in a bed, I intend for their speech to be automatically slurred. For example, if a player says:
"Just give me 5 more minutes."
It might automatically change to say this instead:
"Jusssst.... zzz... 55 mooore.... zzz... *snore* ... minutesss..."

If you're injured, staying at an inn will probably restore you to full health. Players might not spend much time in beds, but I feel it's worth having the feature for added charm and for roleplaying purposes.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014

Sholto

Re: Weekly spoiler

Post by Sholto » Nov 5th, 2017, 8:00 pm

I love it! I always enjoyed sitting on beds in Endless, but this adds a whole other aspect entirely! Makes more sense too in terms of realism. Gotta say, I think it's great how you guys are focusing on making this a role-playing friendly game and centered around social interactions. Keep up the good work!
Last edited by Sholto on Dec 12th, 2018, 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Sholto, "Sower of Seeds"

Ghostly Apparition

Post by Ghostly Apparition » Nov 10th, 2017, 12:13 am

I agree with Sholto. It's even just the smaller things like this that tend to draw me into particular games, or that give me fond memories of them after the fact. Any features that add extra realism, or silliness, are very much appreciated.

This is actually reminding me of an internal semi-joke that I've had floating around in my head, in relation to the fact that in some games they don't let you read the in game signs. -You go over to read a sign, but it won't let you- "Oops! I forgot, I can't read."

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Nov 11th, 2017, 4:32 pm

This week's spoiler is... Faces and emotes!
2017-11-11 emotes.png
2017-11-11 emotes.png (5.32 KiB) Viewed 8710 times
When creating a character, players will be able to choose their eyes and their mouth. This will be the way your character's face looks at all times. You don't have to worry about picking a dumb face and living with the consequences forever, though - you'll be able to change your character's expression freely. Whether you want your character to look friendly, menacing, or just plain silly is up to you!

Furthermore, you'll be able to create your own emote hotkeys. I intend for there to be default ones for basic emotions like "happy", "sad", or "angry". Beyond that, it'll be up to the players to mix n' match some eyes and mouths to express their emotions. When you push an emote hotkey, it'll display the face for a couple seconds or so, then go back to your regular face.

There are currently 34 eyes and 34 mouths, meaning there's over 1000 possible combinations of facial expressions. I'm hoping this will help players look unique.

Mild Mannered Nate

Post by Mild Mannered Nate » Nov 11th, 2017, 6:17 pm

Danno wrote: There are currently 34 eyes and 34 mouths, meaning there's over 1000 possible combinations of facial expressions. I'm hoping this will help players look unique.
That's over 1000 more facial combinations than No Man's Sky had, people. Get hype!!!

Ghostly Apparition

Post by Ghostly Apparition » Nov 11th, 2017, 8:45 pm

Danno wrote: This week's spoiler is... Faces and emotes!

2017-11-11 emotes.png

When creating a character, players will be able to choose their eyes and their mouth. This will be the way your character's face looks at all times. You don't have to worry about picking a dumb face and living with the consequences forever, though - you'll be able to change your character's expression freely. Whether you want your character to look friendly, menacing, or just plain silly is up to you!

Furthermore, you'll be able to create your own emote hotkeys. I intend for there to be default ones for basic emotions like "happy", "sad", or "angry". Beyond that, it'll be up to the players to mix n' match some eyes and mouths to express their emotions. When you push an emote hotkey, it'll display the face for a couple seconds or so, then go back to your regular face.

There are currently 34 eyes and 34 mouths, meaning there's over 1000 possible combinations of facial expressions. I'm hoping this will help players look unique.
EXCITED! Oh my gosh, that'll be fun. I love it! The customization is really looking like it'll be quite a joy to play around with.
Mild Mannered Nate wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017, 6:17 pm
Danno wrote: There are currently 34 eyes and 34 mouths, meaning there's over 1000 possible combinations of facial expressions. I'm hoping this will help players look unique.
That's over 1000 more facial combinations than No Man's Sky had, people. Get hype!!!
-LAUGHS- Good one!

Sholto

Post by Sholto » Nov 13th, 2017, 11:18 am

Oooh, it'll certainly be interesting to see how everyone decides to create their emotions. This adds a whole other layer to character design, as now I'll have to actually decide how I want my character's face to portray my/his personality! Cannot wait to see more innovative updates.
-Sholto, "Sower of Seeds"

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Nov 25th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Whoops, I completely forgot to post a spoiler last week. Sorry!

This week's spoiler is... Hair customization!

http://cloudflash.net/respite/male.php
http://cloudflash.net/respite/female.php

You can test out the existing hairstyles at these links. The presentation isn't very nice, but that's not really a priority for now. Also note that some of the hair lengths are incomplete, but they will be detailed later.

All hairstyles will be unisex, we just have these pages setup to demonstrate:
a) Only certain hairstyles will be able to have hair length attached to them.
b) There are some hairstyles that only work without hair length (i.e. short and spikey hairstyles).

There will be another level of customization for hairstyles, but that's to come at a later date. Anyway, this is just to give you an idea of how many hairstyles will be possible in the game (and this is without even getting into hair colour options). With face and hair customization, I'm fairly confident the players will have highly varied appearances.

You might be asking yourself, "Why can't we have hair length for ALL hairstyles, even the short and spikey ones?"
Answer: They just aren't compatible. It looks sloppy when the hair length is just kind of floating behind a bald head, for example. It has a similar effect when applied to spikey hairstyles and I don't want to put extra work into making it connect smoothly since it just kinda looks ugly regardless, in my opinion. I don't foresee spikey + long flowing locks having much demand, anyway. I am, however, considering allowing certain ponytails to apply to any hairstyle. Mainly the ones that are smaller or thinner. I think those would probably look fine with any hairstyle, even the spikey ones.

Ghostly Apparition

Post by Ghostly Apparition » Nov 25th, 2017, 3:41 pm

Presentation aside, those hairstyles look wonderful, Danno. I've already found quite a few combinations that I'm in love with! Between, the two layers of hair customization, a future third level/layer of hair customization, the face, and the hair color, I may actually feel torn with how I want my character to look.

I honestly can't decide!

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 3rd, 2017, 2:14 am

This week's spoiler is... Attack animation rough drafts!
Bow shoot3.gif
Bow shoot3.gif (5.47 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
smash slasher.gif
smash slasher.gif (13.33 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
boxing attack.gif
boxing attack.gif (8.94 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
spear attack.gif
spear attack.gif (7.03 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
beam.gif
beam.gif (10.28 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
2H sword attack.gif
2H sword attack.gif (8.99 KiB) Viewed 8612 times
There's a lot of detail lacking in these animations, of course. It's all subject to change, too; there might be extra frames added to some of these to make them smoother and it's also possible some of these won't make it into the game.

Attack animations are a low priority for me at the moment, so it'll be a while before I elaborate on these. I'm hoping to make the combat system's visuals have at least some appeal so the game doesn't look too cheap. Some animations might be somewhat simplified, though, since I want my workload to remain manageable. This is a free game with one artist running on a budget of zero dollars, so you get what you pay for! Combat should look a lot better than EO, at least.

dikas

Post by dikas » Dec 3rd, 2017, 10:38 am

These spoilers are looking so cool and well executed. Can't wait to test/play this out. Keep up the good work and don't rush your game team!

Narrlocke

Post by Narrlocke » Dec 4th, 2017, 1:52 pm

Maiden of Esna wrote:Hadouken!!!!!!!!

Ghostly Apparition

Post by Ghostly Apparition » Dec 4th, 2017, 3:02 pm

Narrlocke wrote:
Maiden of Esna wrote:Hadouken!!!!!!!!
Mash that button! This game needs energy blasting power struggles, stat! Fastest button masher wins!

Those honestly look great, Danno. Don't worry, I doubt that anyone's expecting 20 frames of animation per attack.

Scias

Post by Scias » Dec 8th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Awesome stuff!

It would be great if the sleeping in bed was primary way of recovering health, though I can see how it would be tedious for people to walk to inn or a house to find bed.. I just feel like these kind of small unique features is what makes games stand out. Perhaps you can encourage people to use bed some other way, like giving a bonus experience if player has put his character to bed before logging off.

The way you're handling emoticons is brilliant!

Hairstyles are looking great, I actually like majority of the male hairstyles and it'll be hard to pick which one I'd use, unlike on EO where there were really few decent ones.

Animations are looking awesome, but also worrying me at same time. Do you plan to have a limit to how many frames the final character sheet will have?

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 8th, 2017, 10:01 pm

Scias wrote: Awesome stuff!

It would be great if the sleeping in bed was primary way of recovering health, though I can see how it would be tedious for people to walk to inn or a house to find bed.. I just feel like these kind of small unique features is what makes games stand out. Perhaps you can encourage people to use bed some other way, like giving a bonus experience if player has put his character to bed before logging off.

The way you're handling emoticons is brilliant!

Hairstyles are looking great, I actually like majority of the male hairstyles and it'll be hard to pick which one I'd use, unlike on EO where there were really few decent ones.

Animations are looking awesome, but also worrying me at same time. Do you plan to have a limit to how many frames the final character sheet will have?
There'll probably be a few ways to recover health. My primary vision for that is to have a building focused on socializing (Operation C.A.F.E.) where players will gradually recover. It'll have minigames, a stage for performing, and I'm hoping it'll just generally be a fun place to hang out. Inns and beds will likely allow instant recovery, though I'm hoping to find some situations where we can insert beds into casual situations.

I really like the idea of trying to find a bed before logging off, actually. Some type of 'well rested' temporary bonus to stats seems fair.

Agreed on EO's hairstyles. The lack of tolerable variety was always disappointing. I think I'll be having a hard time picking a hairstyle in ReSpite, too!

There's no current plan to limit the number of frames in the final character sheet. After we do more planning on classes and skills, we'll just kinda see what we end up with in terms of animation frames, then I guess that'll be the limit.

Scias

Post by Scias » Dec 8th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Keeping character sheet very limited helps push more equipment out, I'm certain players will prefer having more stuff to obtain than having smooth and fancy animations.

Other way around it is to recycle a lot of the movements, but not sure how great that would turn out.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 8th, 2017, 11:00 pm

Indeed, I intend to recycle things as much as possible. My current attack animations recycle legs from walking animations, for example. I'll be making equipment with only the basic frames to start with (standing, sitting, walking), then I'll add the attack animations when we're actually ready to have a combat system. I mean, at the very least, I can add the basic attack like EO had. All the elaborate stuff will be waiting, though; the character sprite sheet can just be expanded when the time comes.

Scias

Post by Scias » Dec 9th, 2017, 1:45 am

Oh I see, yeah I would definitely add the attack animation and maybe introduce Arena early on, so players can have some fun before the pve combat system is added.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 9th, 2017, 2:24 am

Yes indeed, we were considering something like that. I probably won't have those basic attacks ready for our initial release, but it will likely be a fairly early feature.

Ghostly Apparition

Post by Ghostly Apparition » Dec 9th, 2017, 2:32 am

Danno wrote: My primary vision for that is to have a building focused on socializing (Operation C.A.F.E.) where players will gradually recover. It'll have minigames, a stage for performing, and I'm hoping it'll just generally be a fun place to hang out.
Oh my gosh, yes please! Yes please!! Yes please!!! That would be so freaking fun! I am completely for this, like 300%. I think that it would be quite neat too, if there were an in game library for reading books on some of the in game lore, as well as for finding out information on in game equipment and their stats. Maybe it could even have a bestiary as well.