Weekly spoiler

Discuss anything about the game itself.
Danno
Artist

Re: Weekly spoiler

Post by Danno » Apr 7th, 2018, 12:17 pm

This week's spoiler is... flinch/recoil!
2018-04-02 flinch test.gif
2018-04-02 flinch test.gif (12.19 KiB) Viewed 5470 times
When you get hit by an enemy, your character will show some reaction. We'll perhaps have a few pre-set faces that your character will randomly display with each hit, such as the example above.
This pose might also be used if we decide to make it so certain enemies can knock you back a tile or two when you get hit. You'll likely be unable to move or attack while flinching, which could add to the danger of getting hit.

Anyway, I think the visual aspect will be a nice addition to combat, plus it opens up opportunities to make more elaborate enemy attacks. For example, I was just thinking about if there were some cave or w/e filled with weak enemies that can be killed in 2 or 3 hits, but they cause you to flinch if they manage to attack you. They'd try to swarm you and wouldn't be too threatening normally, but they could have something like 10x their normal attack power if they hit you from the behind.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014

Harlan
Programmer

Post by Harlan » Apr 7th, 2018, 1:38 pm

The world needs to know..
unknown.png
unknown.png (2.98 KiB) Viewed 5469 times
Heh can someone make a meme using this?

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Apr 14th, 2018, 11:05 am

This week's spoiler is... The completion of the female sprite!
2018-04-12 female animation tests.gif
2018-04-12 female animation tests.gif (163.64 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
This image shows a wide variety of attacks that are possible thanks to the work I put into upgrading the base sprite to make it combat compatible. The quality checks are done, so both the male and female sprite will no longer need to be worked on (aside from a couple little fixes I'm coming across as I work on equipment).

Anyway, so I'm in the process of upgrading our old equipment to fit this new sheet. From this point forth, our characters will have a solid foundation to have a combat system implemented someday. Having this out of the way now will save several hours worth of work down the line.

We've all seen the various attack animations plenty of times, though, so here's something a little different. I made a little frog NPC for a change of pace!
2018-04-07 frog test.gif
2018-04-07 frog test.gif (2.33 KiB) Viewed 5431 times
My intention is for it not to really be an enemy seeing as it's a fairly harmless creature. It can just sort of decorate swamp areas and be used as a curse. I haven't decided yet if players will be able to transform enemies into frogs with a certain spell or if it'd only go the other way around.

Sholto

Post by Sholto » Apr 17th, 2018, 7:17 pm

A little late but...
-Sholto, "Sower of Seeds"

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Apr 17th, 2018, 9:44 pm

Sholto wrote: A little late but...
I lol'd. For your effort, I reward you with the elusive mid-week spoiler.

Here's a bunch of new hairstyles that have come to exist after the closed test.
2018-04-17 hairstyles.png
2018-04-17 hairstyles.png (14.79 KiB) Viewed 5365 times
With a little more work on hairstyle graphics, we'll be able to properly implement it in the character creation menu, which will also allow you to choose your hair colour!

Errors

Post by Errors » Apr 18th, 2018, 2:34 am

Will we see a silver/white/grey hair color, like EO? Nah it will be better than EO.
Official Quote: Like EO? Nah it will be better than EO.
"I found another Glitch" -Errors

Sholto

Post by Sholto » Apr 18th, 2018, 11:44 am

Ah, yay! Thanks for the mid-week spoiler. :)
I see many familiar hairstyles from EO which I'm stoked about. One question though: will hairstyles be in one piece as we see above, or will there be multiple pieces to customization? What I mean by this, for example, is will we be able to say, have any of those hairstyles shown above, and also add a braid or ponytail, or some other form of customization?
-Sholto, "Sower of Seeds"

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Apr 18th, 2018, 4:46 pm

During the closed test, there were no restrictions - you could attach any hair length to any base hairstyle. Some people took advantage of that and came up with some unintended combinations. After seeing that, I've been a little on the fence about it, like "Who am I to decide if a player should be allowed to attach a ponytail to this certain hairstyle?"

In the end, there are certain hairstyles that just don't have the right shape for hair length to attach properly, though. Here's my rationale on the matter.
2018-04-18 hair1.png
2018-04-18 hair1.png (20.26 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
In Figure A above, we see a hairstyle that I think doesn't customize well.

In Figure B, we see the primary culprit is the unique shape of the hairstyle. The ones that I intended for customization all have smooth, generic edges - they all have the exact same shape at that part of the hairstyle, and hair lengths have been designed specifically to attach to that shape.

Figure C describes why this hairstyle doesn't customize well. If someone had their hair slicked back like that, it wouldn't make sense for a ponytail to sprout out from it. It's possible that someone could deliberately style their hair in such a way, but it's highly unusual.

Figure D shows a hairstyle that would make a lot more sense - for the strands of hair to all be drawn towards the hair tie to create the ponytail. I mean, someone could tie the top half of their hair into a ponytail and then leave the bottom half hanging, but that's not what the base hairstyle in Figure C is doing. The hair starts at the forehead and reaches all the way to the back without being parted anywhere in between.

Figures E, F, and G show a more generic view of the hairstyles - that is, if we remove the hair strand details. In this situation, Figure E doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It'd make more sense if it were modified to be like Figure F - but, again, that's not the image this hairstyle is conveying in its default state.
Figure G shows that the ponytail attaches very well to a generic hairstyle that has no real shape.
2018-04-18 hair2.png
2018-04-18 hair2.png (13.61 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
Figure H shows another hairstyle that doesn't work well with customization. Half the head is bald, so it doesn't make sense for the hair to be growing only from a strangely specific area. Again, this look is possible if someone wanted it in real life. It's beyond the scope of my customization options, though. For example, this front view shows the hair is nowhere near the character's ears. The back view, however, would show the hair touching their ears since that's how it's designed to fit generic hair shapes. Works well for 30+ hairstyles, but doesn't fit well with an oddball style like this. I'd have to go to fairly great lengths to make hairstyles properly attach to something like a mohawk, and that's something I think most people wouldn't even care about, so I won't bother.

Anyway, the rest of the hairstyles in the above image show how a ponytail attaches very easily to hairstyles with generic shapes.
2018-04-18 hair3.png
2018-04-18 hair3.png (18.78 KiB) Viewed 5355 times
Finally, we have our spikey hairstyles. These ones have unique shapes, obviously. The problems might not be as apparent from the front view, but they certainly don't attach well on the back views, as seen in this image.

Column A: Default state.

Column B: Long hair attached. The top of the long hair is closed off, so it looks glitchy for the spikes to poke through.

Column C: For several reasons, it just doesn't make logical sense for the ponytail to sprout from the spikes. The ponytail hair is longer than the spike hair, which is very weird for it to be localized entirely in that one part of the head; the ponytail is not spikey, and therefore not consistent; and it's just overall weird, like the first explanation in this post about the slicked back hair.

Column D: This is the one area I intend to make an exception. Hair length such as low ponytails can easily attach to almost any hairstyle (excluding stuff like bald areas, such as mohawks). As we can see in this image, it appears to attach just fine. That is, it doesn't really interfere with anything as long as it's tied off at the bottom. It's also not unusual for people to have mullet-type hairstyles - short hair on top, long hair at the back/bottom.

In summary, I intend for there to be different categories of hair bases + hair length, designed to keep hairstyles reasonably logical and to ensure the graphics connect smoothly. At the risk of sounding sexist, these are the categories:

1. Traditional "feminine" long hairstyle - Fully compatible with all hair attachments.
2. Traditional "masculine" short hairstyle - Mostly compatible only with low ponytails or similar attachments.
3. Buzz cut or bald hairstyle - Not compatible with any hair attachments.

Regardless of gender, all characters will be able to choose any hairstyle, though. Females can have short spikey hair and men can have long flowing locks if they wish - the two simply cannot be combined.
Errors wrote:Will we see a silver/white/grey hair color, like EO? Nah it will be better than EO.
Already posted hair colour samples in an earlier spoiler (---:
More colours may also be added at some point, but we'll just be starting with these ones.

Errors

Post by Errors » Apr 19th, 2018, 12:04 am

Oh I must of forgot about that xD My bad.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Apr 21st, 2018, 7:59 pm

This week's spoiler is... hanging hair! This is the third level of customization for hairstyles. The image below shows the obvious visual differences of how hairstyles look with or without it.
2018-04-21 hanging hair.gif
2018-04-21 hanging hair.gif (41.14 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
To help put that into perspective, here's an image showing one hanging hairstyle applied to several different base hairstyles:
2018-04-21 hanging hair2.png
2018-04-21 hanging hair2.png (11.63 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
And here's an image using the exact same base hair style across the board, but with different hanging hair on each one:
2018-04-21 hanging hair3.png
2018-04-21 hanging hair3.png (12.99 KiB) Viewed 5323 times
The end result: thousands of possible hair combinations, which will hopefully result in many players taking on a unique appearance.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Apr 28th, 2018, 5:52 pm

I don't have anything too exciting to show this week since I've mostly been focused on making our old equipment compatible with the new base sprite sheet.

This week's spoiler is... shoreline graphics!
2018-04-28 beach.png
2018-04-28 beach.png (129.94 KiB) Viewed 5275 times
It basically just allows water to connect with ground tiles. I'm hoping it can be animated in the future to look better, but it'll just remain still for the time being.

Errors

Post by Errors » Apr 28th, 2018, 11:35 pm

Danno wrote: I don't have anything too exciting to show this week since I've mostly been focused on making our old equipment compatible with the new base sprite sheet.

This week's spoiler is... shoreline graphics!
2018-04-28 beach.png

It basically just allows water to connect with ground tiles. I'm hoping it can be animated in the future to look better, but it'll just remain still for the time being.
That sir, is cool as shit.

megamoogle

Post by megamoogle » Apr 29th, 2018, 3:59 pm

hairs look good. if there is room for any more:
Attachments
big hair.gif
big hair.gif (31.87 KiB) Viewed 5259 times

Harlan
Programmer

Post by Harlan » Apr 29th, 2018, 8:37 pm

exists.png
exists.png (3.91 KiB) Viewed 5252 times
Bloop - already exists.

Monkey D. Luffy

Post by Monkey D. Luffy » May 1st, 2018, 3:08 pm

Still no dread skullet ;-;

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » May 1st, 2018, 4:32 pm

Perish wrote:Still no dread skullet ;-;
I have been thinking about it, but it doesn't really work well with our system. Our hairstyle system is pretty intense already, so doing anything unusual with it to add even more options is a low priority.

That's not to say it's impossible, though. My thought process is along the lines of:
1. A bald top would simply not work with certain hair lengths.
2. If it was all designed as a single base hairstyle (with no customization options), it can only appear on top of the player. That is, from a front view, the hair will not be able to be on the character's backside.
3. For hair to appear at the backside, we need to use the hair length sheet.
4. It might be possible to designate a specific hair length to automatically associate with a specific hair base.

Alternately, the bald top would just need to have restricted length compability. That mainly means no high ponytails and no long str8 hair.

megamoogle

Post by megamoogle » May 2nd, 2018, 8:13 pm

Perish wrote:dread skullet
Attachments
senior-women-feeling-sick-holding-hand-over-her-mouth.jpg
senior-women-feeling-sick-holding-hand-over-her-mouth.jpg (65.76 KiB) Viewed 5199 times

Monkey D. Luffy

Post by Monkey D. Luffy » May 3rd, 2018, 9:46 pm

Understandable. If it ever happens I will poop my britches, though. Keep up the good work!
megamoogle wrote:
May 2nd, 2018, 8:13 pm
Perish wrote:dread skullet

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » May 5th, 2018, 7:36 pm

This week's spoiler is... planning caves?
2018-05-03 RES tile plans.jpg
2018-05-03 RES tile plans.jpg (296.37 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
I started by doing some sketches, as seen above. Well, I was planning a few things. Some graphics weren't working as intended (inner corners for rocky slopes). I was also trying to plan out every wall tile that's required for indoor situations to allow us to create partitions, i.e. have walls that form multiple rooms within a building on a single map.
2018-05-05 cave.png
2018-05-05 cave.png (6.05 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
After drawing some cave plans on paper, I moved on to the rough draft phase of pixel art. I started with some blank wall tiles and sort of just drew overtop of them to get an idea of how many tiles will be required to create a cave entrance.
The only problem is... after making this rough draft, I decided that I want to be able to create larger cave entrances. To do so, I need to carefully plan the cave entrance tiles so that they can connect and loop to whatever size I desire. So, that's where I'm at right now. There are a few other graphics I'm working on that need some planning to loop properly, so I'm planning and creating things to make the world a little more exciting.

Rongaeus Zyllustro

Post by Rongaeus Zyllustro » May 9th, 2018, 7:46 pm

Damn... so far I really like the ideas,the sprite's etc where all this is going.

Though I do have some things I would like to speak my mind about to Danno since he's the guy behind the graphics and art ;)

1.Is it normal or good that the attack animation from the front and back are slightly different? I have read the previous posts too about um..mirror pose/animation?

2.Just a thought which I like to point out too (wouldn't it be cool to have pointy nose or some basic noses for example like those pointy noses from famous anime like DBZ etc for your character/sprite?) I really love having those noses as the anime character's) this is just my thought about noses.(I'm sory that i'm probably a bit late about it) :/

3.Also I have read and saw some sprite's face expression as well which are good to have but Danno can you bring or create a angry face expression when you are fighting or going to hit the enemy NPC or other players (PVP)?

So far good job for Re:Sprite team with what they are doing and handling things.