Weekly spoiler

Discuss anything about the game itself.
Danno
Artist

Re: Weekly spoiler

Post by Danno » Aug 18th, 2018, 3:39 pm

I should get back to work on making armour, I'm just a little undecided on how exactly to go about it (as far as layering is concerned).

Here's a new monster that's in progress. I didn't have much time to work on Re:Spite this week, unfortunately, so I can't show off an animated version like the others.
2018-08-18 hasek.png
2018-08-18 hasek.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Aug 25th, 2018, 11:53 am

Just a heads up, our next update might be a little bare. Development slowed down a bit since we've had more irl commitments lately. Hopefully we'll have time to implement this week's spoiler, though... Custom emotes!
2018-08-25 emotes.png
2018-08-25 emotes.png (10.69 KiB) Viewed 4759 times
Basically, you'll choose an eyes/mouth combo similar to when you're creating a character. Where it says "New", it'll display a preview of what you're selecting. Finally, by clicking on a slot, it'll overwrite it.

If you overwrite the Face slot, it'll change your permanent face.

Assuming it all works out the way I planned it, clicking a Saved Emotes slot will also set it to one of the hotkeys on the right. Once hotkeyed, I'm hoping you'll be able to click it or use a keyboard shortcut to temporarily change your face for a couple seconds.

demonlord5000

Post by demonlord5000 » Aug 25th, 2018, 1:30 pm

That's a rather interesting and unique emote system. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Also, no need to worry about not having a lot done for the next update. I'll beat up anyone who doesn't understand in arena for ya. That's pretty much where I'll be sticking around once I finish collecting this last batch of ingredients in preparation for crafting.

Now we just need a hair stylist and we will have complete customization of our characters in game too.
The arena demon returns with a vengeance!

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Aug 26th, 2018, 1:43 am

I don't remember if I spoiled it previously, but we do have a hairstylist interface created already (not implemented in-game yet). I've been trying to draw more NPCs so we can designate more of them to shops/hairstylist duty.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Sep 2nd, 2018, 2:25 pm

A little late, but here's a spoiler of a new shopkeeper NPC.
Galmet.png
Galmet.png (2.03 KiB) Viewed 4711 times
Progress has been pretty bad on my end since irl stuff has been keeping me occupied. I'm hoping to start picking up the pace again.

Errors

Post by Errors » Sep 2nd, 2018, 5:16 pm

Dude that looks awesome, don't worry so much. No one is leaving lol
"I found another Glitch" -Errors

unit

Post by unit » Sep 3rd, 2018, 5:37 am

Danno wrote: A little late, but here's a spoiler of a new shopkeeper NPC.
Galmet.png

Progress has been pretty bad on my end since irl stuff has been keeping me occupied. I'm hoping to start picking up the pace again.
looks good mate :) galmet the old mofoer. he better sell sweaters and shit
A road not traveled is an opportunity not taken

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Sep 8th, 2018, 3:00 pm

This week's spoiler is... new equipment!
2018-09-08 armour.gif
2018-09-08 armour.gif (9.44 KiB) Viewed 4681 times
I'm finally making some armour. Not sure why I was so worried about how to make the animation look, I guess just stretching the lighting on it a bit seems to get the job done just fine.

I have a week off irl work now, so it's time to kick things into overdrive.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Sep 15th, 2018, 3:11 pm

This week's spoiler is... Reshaded female legs.
2018-09-15 new legs.gif
2018-09-15 new legs.gif (22.4 KiB) Viewed 4622 times
A pretty underwhelming update, I know. I've been meaning to do this for a while, though. To recap, I originally made the male/female legs the same to make it easier to make new equipment. When we introduced the character creation screen, it became painfully obvious how odd it looked for their legs to be identical, though.

With my changes, the shape of the legs is the same, so creating new shoes and pants remains a fairly painless process. I just changed the shading a bit to make the female legs appear a little less bulky. I've been wanting to do this before making stuff like skirts or other things that show off the legs so uh... such pieces of equipment will be more flattering for female characters.

I also made some adjustments to the base sprite to clean up some messy pixels. This should make it at least a little faster to make new tops. Tops are the most time consuming piece of equipment due to not being able to recycle as much of it throughout the sheet and for male vs. female. For reference, the armour from last week's spoiler took about 4-5 hours each for the male and female versions (and that's without having to draw sleeves!).

gemini

Post by gemini » Sep 15th, 2018, 8:06 pm

Looks great! I'm sure the girls will be very happy with that. I can only imagine what a time consuming process working with all those pixels is! Looking forward to seeing more.

x

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Sep 23rd, 2018, 4:16 am

Whoops, forgot to post a spoiler again. Here's a new NPC I've been working on.
2018-09-23stylist.jpg
2018-09-23stylist.jpg (29.46 KiB) Viewed 4553 times
She'll be a hairstylist. I'm not sure if we'll have time to implement this for v4, but I suppose we'll see.

A long time ago, I was thinking that we'd only allow access to normal/realistic hair colours on the character creation menu. I've been using normal hair (and eye) colours for nearly every NPC I've drawn, too. I was thinking it'd make more sense if players had to go to a hairstylist if they want an unnatural hair colour (aka blue, green, purple, pink). Anyway, so that may end up being a thing.

I'll eventually make more hairstyle options when I'm not busy with more important things. Perhaps some hairstyles could be exclusive to hairstylists, too, since I suppose even MORE options might be overwhelming for someone just trying to create their first character.

ContactZero

Post by ContactZero » Sep 23rd, 2018, 5:27 am

I like the idea of only being able to access certain styles / colours from stylists.

Kokiri

Post by Kokiri » Sep 26th, 2018, 10:05 am

I love the female sprite update. And everything else ofcourse. XD Thanks danno.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Oct 6th, 2018, 3:35 pm

Whoops, looks like I missed last week again. Here's a spoiler for last week: an update on the hairstylist NPC! Do not try spinning scissors at home!
2018-10-06 stylist.jpg
2018-10-06 stylist.jpg (33.27 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
And for this week's spoiler: more interior stuff!
2018-10-06 island map.png
2018-10-06 island map.png (11.28 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
The framed picture is an ultra zoomed out depiction of the newb land map concept/rough draft. It's just something to decorate shops and houses with to make them a bit less plain.

I've been working on other such items, as well, such as a bookcase and other furniture. For the furniture, my main focus has been to create stuff for my secret in-game admin room. Fooling around a bit makes it a little more fun to create. As a result, we now have a perfectly good bookcase that can be used in other parts of the game (with different items on the shelves, of course!).
2018-10-06 adminpls.png
2018-10-06 adminpls.png (23.74 KiB) Viewed 4461 times
It's nice to finally get back to this and have it done. I haven't worked on my admin room graphics since February 2017.

In the future, there will be a hidden way to gain access to the admin room. For now, however, it will be warp-only.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Oct 13th, 2018, 8:30 pm

It's been a bad week for graphics. I just couldn't seem to get things done on my ever-changing sleep/work schedule.

Anyway, I have been working on some new maps. This week's spoiler is... new pathways!
2018-10-13 paths.png
2018-10-13 paths.png (128.1 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
Outside of Mt. Korvul, there's a path to the left that's currently blocked off by tree stumps. In v4, this path will be opened to reveal a new area! I'm giving similar treatment to many of the deadend pathways that currently exist.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Oct 21st, 2018, 1:24 am

Whoops, forgot to post something again.

This week's spoiler is... masks!
2018-10-20 masks.png
2018-10-20 masks.png (22.3 KiB) Viewed 4365 times
I suppose some other things are spoiled in this picture, too.

asheknight

Post by asheknight » Oct 21st, 2018, 6:33 am

Danno wrote: Whoops, forgot to post something again.

This week's spoiler is... masks!

2018-10-20 masks.png

I suppose some other things are spoiled in this picture, too.
INTERESTING :D Can you soon purchase that Armour instead of tunics as well D:??? I'm still saving up 600 gold for that knight helmet x.x ... can't wait ^-^ When can we buy weapons that increase damage (Mwhahaha) >:D?
~ If only things could stay like this forever ...

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Oct 21st, 2018, 12:36 pm

Yes, that armour will be in shops soon. We're still not ready to add weapons yet, unfortunately, but it is near the top of the list of the things I'd like to see added next.

Due to all the different possible attack animations, we basically have to make sure that weapons exist in positions that match all of those attack animations. Different weapons will use different attack animations, though, so it's not as simple as figuring it out for one weapon and then repeating that for every other weapon (the most obvious example would be that bow&arrow attacks wouldn't use frames in the same way as sword attacks). The attack variation is very closely related to classes and skills, so all of this stuff basically needs to be planned (and possibly implemented) all in one go, which is a pretty big task!

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Oct 27th, 2018, 12:38 pm

I don't have much to show off this time. Since releasing v4, we've been spending time looking for bugs and planning stuff for our next update.

This week's spoiler is... a new monster in progress!
2018-10-27 new monster approaches.png
2018-10-27 new monster approaches.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 4272 times
That's all I have so far. I'm hoping to add a little more variance to the monsters scattered about the world.

unit

Post by unit » Oct 27th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Danno wrote: I don't have much to show off this time. Since releasing v4, we've been spending time looking for bugs and planning stuff for our next update.

This week's spoiler is... a new monster in progress!
2018-10-27 new monster approaches.png

That's all I have so far. I'm hoping to add a little more variance to the monsters scattered about the world.
hands down my favourite looking monster so far.
A road not traveled is an opportunity not taken