Introduce yourself!

A place to talk about things that have nothing to do with Re:Spite, such as news, other sites, or real life.
Danno
Artist

Re: Introduce yourself!

Post by Danno » Nov 12th, 2017, 7:47 pm

Yeah, our combat will probably be fairly slow-paced, as well, considering movement is tiled-based. We'll at least have skills for each class and smarter AI, though; we're hoping to make it play more like an actual game. But yeah, I played EO for several years despite its lacklustre battle system. It was just plain fun to log on, explore the world, chat with people, and kill a few monsters here and there.
"I'll do the art." ~Danno 2014

skutieos
Musician

Post by skutieos » Nov 13th, 2017, 8:40 pm

Hi guys, I'm skutieos. I actually never played EO. I met Danno on flashplayer forums sometime around ~2004 (I think??) and I ended up being a regular browser of cloudflash for years. I spend most of my time these days playing, writing, and teaching music, as a hobby and (hopefully) career. I'm quite nerdy on drum corps, drum lines, marching band, and pageantry in general, and I've been coaching groups of this nature for a couple years now.

Anyways, I'll be coming up with the soundtrack for Re:Spite! (title screen music is already done!) And I intend to be a frequent player of the game as well. I'll see y'all around.

Sholto

Post by Sholto » Nov 13th, 2017, 9:44 pm

skutieos wrote: Hi guys, I'm skutieos. I actually never played EO. I met Danno on flashplayer forums sometime around ~2004 (I think??) and I ended up being a regular browser of cloudflash for years. I spend most of my time these days playing, writing, and teaching music, as a hobby and (hopefully) career. I'm quite nerdy on drum corps, drum lines, marching band, and pageantry in general, and I've been coaching groups of this nature for a couple years now.

Anyways, I'll be coming up with the soundtrack for Re:Spite! (title screen music is already done!) And I intend to be a frequent player of the game as well. I'll see y'all around.
Great to meet ya! Can't wait to see what you come up with for Re:Spite! I have high hopes. :)

Do you have any examples of what you've produced in the past?
-Sholto, "Sower of Seeds"

skutieos
Musician

Post by skutieos » Nov 14th, 2017, 10:58 am

Sholto wrote:
skutieos wrote: Hi guys, I'm skutieos. I actually never played EO. I met Danno on flashplayer forums sometime around ~2004 (I think??) and I ended up being a regular browser of cloudflash for years. I spend most of my time these days playing, writing, and teaching music, as a hobby and (hopefully) career. I'm quite nerdy on drum corps, drum lines, marching band, and pageantry in general, and I've been coaching groups of this nature for a couple years now.

Great to meet ya! Can't wait to see what you come up with for Re:Spite! I have high hopes. :)

Do you have any examples of what you've produced in the past?
Nice to meet you as well. Most of my focus on composition has gone into writing for piano, stuff of this nature: https://soundcloud.com/thomas-wharton-6 ... le-pending
Not exactly video game music; that piece in particular is dedicated to my cat and was inspired by musical impressionism (composers like Ravel and Debussy.)
Recently I've been working a lot with SNES soundfonts and trying to replicate the style of SNES music, which I think is going to fit well with Re:spite. I'm kinda taking inspiration from the Undertale soundtrack in that I want to create music that has a distinct retro flavor, but with modern production value and less limitations on what sounds I use. Ultimately, if you all like it, we'll go with it! If not, then I'll keep trying until you do. :)

Sholto

Post by Sholto » Nov 14th, 2017, 11:17 am

skutieos wrote: Nice to meet you as well. Most of my focus on composition has gone into writing for piano, stuff of this nature: https://soundcloud.com/thomas-wharton-6 ... le-pending
I LOVE IT! It reminds me of something straight out of a Miyazaki film, with a little twist of course. Wonderful! Gee, your cat must be so happy. :)
-Sholto, "Sower of Seeds"

Narrlocke

Post by Narrlocke » Nov 27th, 2017, 9:46 pm

Glorious God-King Abi has a very important message regarding the masculinity and sexual activity of Skittles

also i was instructed to ask Danno what province he's from please do not smite me for my insolence

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Nov 27th, 2017, 9:54 pm

I'm from Regina, Saskatchewan. Good luck pronouncing that.

Harlan
Programmer

Post by Harlan » Nov 27th, 2017, 10:25 pm

Narrlocke wrote: Glorious God-King Abi has a very important message regarding the masculinity and sexual activity of Skittles
Let the record show. I support Narrlocke as my districts representative(Hunger Games) for being awesome.
Danno wrote:I'm from Regina, Saskatchewan. Good luck pronouncing that.
Sasquatch Tornado Hunters.

Narrlocke

Post by Narrlocke » Nov 27th, 2017, 10:34 pm

Danno wrote:I'm from Regina, Saskatchewan. Good luck pronouncing that.
i live in northern North Dakota, that's a pretty common word around here! Dunno about abmaster bowflex lord above me though. Plus its spelled just like its pronounced anyways :P

Cevil

Post by Cevil » Dec 3rd, 2017, 6:15 am

Hi all. My username in EO was also "Cevil" and I began playing way back in Version 14. For me, Endless Online was the first online game I ever played so it's (or should I say was?) very special to me. I loved the social atmosphere, the arena, the terrible combat, the music...every update in this game was just kind of magical to me.

Anyway, living in Virginia right now, from Texas originally. Fairly active gamer, would love to help with the development of this game, thanks.

Scias

Post by Scias » Dec 8th, 2017, 1:17 pm

Hello all!
I've played Endless Online a long time ago, and have been looking for something similar but never found it in any mmo's. When I read the introduction page by Nate and Danny it brought my hopes up, I think they think about EO same way I do, and want to make this game capture the original EO experience we've all enjoyed.

Joined here to show support for this project..

I'm a experienced pixel artist so my support can go beyond commenting and trying to help keep you motivated, if you need a hand with pixel art I can spare some time to help, but my art style is definitely way different.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 8th, 2017, 10:09 pm

Scias wrote: Hello all!
I've played Endless Online a long time ago, and have been looking for something similar but never found it in any mmo's. When I read the introduction page by Nate and Danny it brought my hopes up, I think they think about EO same way I do, and want to make this game capture the original EO experience we've all enjoyed.

Joined here to show support for this project..

I'm a experienced pixel artist so my support can go beyond commenting and trying to help keep you motivated, if you need a hand with pixel art I can spare some time to help, but my art style is definitely way different.
Good to hear you appreciate the classic EO experience. I put over 5000 hours into that game (according to EO's #usage command); I'd always login after school and play for hours earning new equipment, making new friends, and fighting in the arena. I'm very determined to bring that same experience to our own game while also making several improvements.

I'll probably want to lay down the foundation of the game's assets better before we even consider allowing anyone else to contribute art (e.g. creating all the tiles, objects, etc. that I already have planned; finishing all the attack animations and assembling the character sprite sheet; finishing setting up all equipment and hairstyles so that they look good and have no issues).

I'm always interested in seeing the work of other artists, though. Care to share anything?

Scias

Post by Scias » Dec 8th, 2017, 11:09 pm

Haha I probably spent about 2k hours on EO. It was really awesome playing EO back in those days, people were really social, items seemed really hard to get since I'd mostly always wander off my objective either to hang out with friends or to battle in arena. I really liked the flaws of the older versions, wasn't even arena made by mistake? Think I heard it was meant to be the actual PvP but they couldn't make it work so it was 1 hit kill. Twin blades hitting high dmg on rocks was a unique weapon feature, they shouldn't have removed that.
Hell I even liked the fact level was meaningless, most of people refused to grind because of it, and you definitely don't want to encourage grinding - it's bound to make people get bored of the game and quit eventually.

I see, that sounds like a good plan. If I'm needed then I'll probably be able to come up with something similar to your style once I have so much to reference from!

Sure, I'll post something I've worked on recently in creative crap.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 8th, 2017, 11:33 pm

I'm unsure of the arena's origins since I joined in v20, but it was definitely a lot of fun, nonetheless! The TB damage on rocks was neat.
Levels having no meaning was one of the best 'features' of early EO. The game was way more fun before stats were introduced. The only thing stats accomplished was making 70% of the playerbase wear the exact same equipment. I also liked how players could block each other, as opposed to other games where you can freely pass through other players. Physically bumping into another player and being unable to get by them pretty much forced players to acknowledge each other's existence, which I think also contributed to the social aspect.

Phantom

Post by Phantom » Dec 8th, 2017, 11:42 pm

What is your name? Dalton
What's a cool fact about you? Nothing? I use to do pixel art, I do some graphic design work, that's about it.. I like Rocket League alot?
Who were you on EO? (If you played lot?) Phantomxxx (Phantom on TFG for those who played that)
What are you most looking forward to about Re:Spite? Community, hope we can see close to the popularity that EO once had.

Hello everybody, I'm boring and highly unentertaining, but I'm here. Kappa

Narrlocke

Post by Narrlocke » Dec 14th, 2017, 12:07 am

I forgot to write my own introduction!

Hi! I'm a long-time MMO player with a decent amount of experience in the various designs that go into them. The first major one I've played is WoW off and on for about the last 6 to 7 years, as well as many other games ever since (Runescape, Maplestory, Mabinogi, GuildWars2, Final Fantasy 14, many others that I can't possibly recall off the top of my head), as well as many games of other genres like fighters (My favorite is Tekken), strategy, RPGs, etc etc, with the recurring theme that I'm a big fan of multiplayer games.

I have a tendency to number crunch and optimize, and have lately been wanting to get into speedrunning some other games for submissions (I've been looking at Resident Evil 5, since it's an older game that I really enjoy, know a lot about, and played a ton, but with a barrier that you need a second person to run it competitively and I don't know anyone who is willing). One of my favorite games in terms of narrative experience is Metal Gear Solid 3, even though I don't typically search for storytelling in games. A good one is always enjoyable!

- - -

The latest MMOs that I've spent time in and arguably the one I've spent the most time in is Final Fantasy XIV (which has a pretty staggering population, squarely the second or third biggest on the market currently). I participated in world first racing as well as speedkill and DPS leaderboards, reaching world 14th in the most recent tier's World Race (with similar or better results in past tiers, though those are less well documented so I can't really prove them as such, rip Top 10 (My team's name is "Powerful Wizards IRL" in the link)), reaching 99th percentile ranks on all fights I've participated in as well as many world #1 ranks (represented by 100th percentile marks (link to the statistics website for the game).

However, the experience of managing the team and keeping people organized through more complex mechanics, as well as managing people's ideas, keeping everyone on the same page, learning how to speak and manage in a very concise manner to keep everyone's varying mindsets together, understanding vastly differing methods of thought expression, scheduling organization, and all that at (what attempts to be) a competitive level was an experience that I'll be genuinely applying aspects to to the rest of my life (including career) that I'm very thankful for in the end.

- - -

A number of years ago, I used to take part in a public role-playing community forum and server centered around a game called Starbound. It was the largest community server for Starbound, so it ended up getting a lot of passing traffic. I was a moderater for the forums as well as a server technician (we had very little support from the game's developer/publisher, the server software was extremely poor, we didn't even have a proper server wrapper or other essentials). Managing the server as a technician was a massive pain in the ass and a coding trainwreck all around back then.

Due to the nature of running a public role-playing community, there were many procedures regarding applications for new races, plotlines, characters, technology, etc. that were heavily regulated by the staff, which mandated a lot of overseeing, so I ended up spending more time managing the forums and structure of applications and other peoples' stories than actually writing my own, but I'm happy to have the experience around those things!

- - -

I am very interested in media production! Including but not limited to video editing (special effects and general timeline), streaming, music (I'm not very knowledgeable about this but still interested in it!) and general production value.

I've been wanting to stream more lately! Including this is my interest for guide-making in specific. I'm hoping to be able to accurately compile and present content relating to this game, especially in-depth dissection of combat-related content. I'm also preferential to creating some more production-heavy shorter trailer/entertainment type content, though I haven't had the chance to really do this much, it's just a hobby I'd like to pick up!

- - -

Feel free to message me on Discord at Narrlocke#1697 if you want to talk about anything.

Also, I use parenthesis too much!

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 14th, 2017, 2:44 am

Phantom wrote: (Phantom on TFG for those who played that)
o i no u
Narrlocke wrote:I forgot to write my own introduction!
Interesting, I'd never really considered the management implications of organizing groups to play MMOs together. There certainly is a lot of work involved in such matters, though, so I suppose it's obvious it should apply.

I really wasn't expecting us to get dedicated WoW or FF14 players in our community (I say that, yet Nate ironically also falls under that category). Just out of curiosity, why do you feel it's worth spending your time on Re:Spite instead of a big budget MMO?

Narrlocke

Post by Narrlocke » Dec 14th, 2017, 4:42 am

Danno wrote: Just out of curiosity, why do you feel it's worth spending your time on Re:Spite instead of a big budget MMO?
I'm taking a break currently just due to unstable scheduling changes in my life. Plus, I'm a little burnt out on the game for a few reasons;

1) Their servers are really bad. Like 40% of the game is just learning how to work around the servers. I was used to it for a really long time, then after resubbing to WoW to play with some friends for literally 30 minutes, it was hard to get used to again. It's like you're permanently playing in 2,000ms molasses, and you really start to learn the importance of snapshotting and learning the exact millisecond that calculations are determined relative to animations.

2) Their gear progression system heavily disincentives players like me. The only gear progression you can get is by capping an arbitrary currency every week, with no rollover for missed weeks. The most criminal part, however, is the fact that one of the game's main selling points is that you can play all the classes on one character (something I think is really good, because I hate alts!), yet you still only get one class's worth of currency per week and one set of drops from the raid per week. There is no gear progression past this, even if you switch classes to an entirely different archetype that uses different gear (gear that is straight up locked to archetype, btw, not just "differently optimized gear", straight up different gear that cannot be shared).

This heavily punishes people who like to play multiple roles (and me being one of the only players in the entire game I ever knew of that was capable of playing all classes at 95th percentile and above, this was a big gradual burn to me.) One of my favorite eras of the game is the time between the final raid tier and the next expansion, where they uncap the raid loot and you can farm max item level sets for all classes and are finally freed from weekly caps to play whatever class you feel like.

3) The "common" community around the game is absolutely one of the worst (skill-wise), most care-bearing general communities I've ever seen. I've actually never met a game community not only satisfied with being less than mediocre, terrible even, uninformed, huge burden on everyone else, but proud of it even. How dare you look at my buffs! Healers heal, therefore I will stand here and press one heal every 20 seconds instead of taking even the slightest advantage of a healing system where the challenge of healing is fitting in as much damage as possible due to extremely powerful heals! etc etc.

The "top-end" community is a pretty fat pile of aggressive meme-lording cancer too. It's crazy cliquey, there's very little common sense among the general top-end playerbase. The way the end-game system (both loot and combat) works really locks you in with a set group of people and disincentivizes picking up fill-ins at all whatsoever as well, contrary to WoW's system which I personally think is better in this regard, even though in WoW the group-wide inertia is much lower so you can feel stuck on a "changing your entire group" levle moreso. So you can easily end up feeling stuck. This is something that ate at me for a lot of the time that I played the game, since my groups never wanted to run nearly as much as I did nor for the same reasons.

4) The game's combat design is designed a lot around being really meticulous about counting seconds on everything. Everything is scripted to happen at an exact particular time, not only mechanics but rotations as well (including tanking and healing). This is actually a fine combat system, but it was kind of easy and I eventually couldn't stay interested when combined with the above factors, as I wanted to play all classes. But due to #2 I could not play as many classes as I wanted to, due to #3 I could not simply start joining random groups as much in the new expansion's content due to design differences and how they interacted with random party finder groups, and due to #3 part two I could not play the classes I did manage to gear as much as I wanted to due to group scheduling issues.

- - -

Obviously, all in all it's still a great game, but I needed a break to find a new job and all that. Maybe I'll be back for a future tier. Maybe I'll drift on to a new game. A game like this is easy to spend a pretty small amount of time on as well (with the current time investment basically being "zero" since it's not released yet!).

Oh! Also because of my previous involvement with Galaxy Citizen (did I remember to put the name of that place in my post? The RP community), this kind of place gives me the same vibes and I can handle the current forum-only involvement easily without using up much time.

Danno
Artist

Post by Danno » Dec 14th, 2017, 12:30 pm

Thanks for sharing. I'm very interested in identifying the aspects of MMOs that turn people off so we can avoid making the same mistakes. Our game should indeed be much easier to play on a casual basis.
I could never get into the raid thing, myself. I always thought it seemed like too much work and time commitment to only play with a designated group and have pre-arranged meeting times every night to play together. Hopefully our plans work out as intended and allow players more freedom in gameplay (without making it too easy).

Narrlocke

Post by Narrlocke » Dec 14th, 2017, 4:52 pm

Danno wrote: Thanks for sharing. I'm very interested in identifying the aspects of MMOs that turn people off so we can avoid making the same mistakes. Our game should indeed be much easier to play on a casual basis.
I could never get into the raid thing, myself. I always thought it seemed like too much work and time commitment to only play with a designated group and have pre-arranged meeting times every night to play together. Hopefully our plans work out as intended and allow players more freedom in gameplay (without making it too easy).
The most common pitfall regarding gameplay that I see smaller MMOs making is uncontrolled scaling. When a slight small upgrade to your gear is 50% more power, nothing can ever possibly be challenging because you'd have to balance around the best in slot gear, making everything below that not even remotely possible and anything slightly above the intended levels easy to the point where you can solo stuff. I'm sure your game will have significant solo content, but the solo equivalent being that it's not only possible but consistently doable by pressing like, one button while looking away. That's not to say that exponential scaling is bad; it's necessary, and long-term progression doesn't work without it unless you're using a horizontal gearing system rather than vertical (a la FF 11), it just needs to be in controlled amounts. That's something that FFXIV did well; it was tightly tuned, even given its predictability.